Thursday, August 23, 2007

Do-Re-Meatball

On our lovely rides home on 77 and 485 from daycare, Reagan and I will sing songs or talk. I began teaching her Do-Re-Me-Fa-So-La-Ti-Do. What she got out of it was Do Re Meatball. We are still working on it. She has "What Time is It" from High School Musical 2 down pat. Now I know you are thinking I am a bad mother for letting her watch TV. But here is my theory: High School Musical 2 teaches teamwork, singing , and dancing. How can she go wrong?

Children have memories like elephants. They retain all the things you do not want them to and almost none of what you would like. Here is what Reagan said yesterday:
"Mommy, remember when you gave me that enema.... ( I knew what was coming next but I hoped she had forgotten), you said you would buy me that Hannah Montana costume and the shoes with the wheels."

I said," Yes but it is reallly expensive so Mommy has to go to work and make money."
Reagan, "Ok, I can wait. But not for too too long."

I ordered the Hannah Montana costume today. Forget the Heely's with the wheels. That is not happening.

Tuesday, on the way in to school, Reagan talked on her pretend princess cell phone to her imaginary friend (she has one named Krist and I am not sure of the other), she was talking away..." Yeah girl, I know what you mean. Hello? Hello? (Flips the phone closed), Damn it, I lost the call."

I turned on the mommy voice : "Reagan, we dont say that."

Silence. Except for the roar of traffic at 6:45am.

I peek in the rearview mirror and see a pouty face.

Then the real tears start. I am confused, I did not yell so why is she crying? I ask and here is what I get:

Reagan, "It was an accident mom, I forgot. I was just trying to talk like a mommy."

I felt about 2 inches tall. I explained that mommy does not always use intelligent words but that she should not copy me. Five minutes later, I needed to get in the right lane as to not miss the exit to 77 from 485 and I could not get over because a big white SUV would not speed up or slow down to let me over. The "Mommy" word popped out before I could stop it.

I will continue to work on it.

No comments: